Friday, June 24, 2011

Silence

Today's the last day of school for my little ones. Rachel has been done since Tuesday so I've been slowly going into summer vacation. Last year, some of you may know, I had a hard time with all my kids in school. I really missed the noise in the house. Silence was not my friend. I felt like I had too much time for my uncontrolled mind to spin.
This year has been different. The "uncontrolled mind" became my friend. I learned to really settle into the silence and relish it. My feelings toward silence goes beyond enjoying it. It has become a necessity. I have learned to quiet everything in body and I've found that, ever so talked about, center.
Try to find some time. Sit quietly and comfortably with a straight spine and feel your breath moving in and out. Don't force it - witness it. Start with a minute (you'll be surprised at how long a minute can seem when you are still!) or start with what you are comfortable with. Any time spent, whether 30 seconds or 30 minutes, is an accomplishment. Celebrate it and continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment