Saturday, June 4, 2011

Is it a Real Physical Practice?

This morning when I woke up, I knew it was going to be a busy day. Being the mother of three kids, when isn't it a busy day? While I was blow drying my hair, I was trying to figure out if I had time to get a practice in today. I remembered a funny blog on Yoga Journal, a few years ago, about how you could put a pose in your everyday activities. So, why not? While trying to get my hair to do what it does, I began to work on balancing poses. I slowed my breath, found a drishti (gazing softly at a certain point) and slowing brought my right leg up bending at the knee. If you could picture it, my left hand held my hairdryer - my right, my hairbrush while my head, torso and legs tried to engage in a practice. Interesting. It all seemed to be going well until my daughters ran in. My little one was crying because she got hurt in the game they were playing - Blind Tag. Yup, it is exactly what it sounds like. They close their eyes and run around trying to tag one another. Well, that was the end of that - for all three of us.
I thought, "does that count?" Really, does it have to count at all? It just felt good to slow my breath and stretch my sleepy muscles. So when you can, expand your inhale and relish in the exhale. You'll be glad you did.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sue,
    I have not been on my old email and I decided to clean it up and saw an email about your blog .So i enjoyed reading this one and could visualise you blowdrying your hair and getting into a yoga pose.
    It made me smile.
    Thanks for the smiles
    Regina

    ReplyDelete